Microsoft

Bing Custom Search

Welcome to the Bing Custom Search Forum

Categories

API – Any ideas or feedback pertaining to features or enhancements to Bing Custom Search.

Documentation – Any ideas or suggestions for the API Reference or Documentation.

Language Support – Submit a request to have a particular language supported.

Samples & SDK Request – Let us know if you would like to see a Code sample or SDK provided.

1. Search count for bing news going back 1 year

Hi,

Hi all, I'm trying to get a count of Bing News search results (i.e. how many results) for a list of search terms, but only for the last 1 year. Searching with the user interface, no results count appears. Ideally, I'd like to do this programmatically, so the list of search result counts appears automatically in response for a list of search keywords. Thanks.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Under Review  ·  0 comments  ·  API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Search fails if 1st character is not ASCII

On my https://ui.customsearch.ai/hosted-page, when I search for 'λογος' I get error: "Unable to execute your query."
    If I search for 'logos' I get results.
    If I search for 'logos λογος' I get different results -- pages with 'λογος' in them.
    Looks like a bug: first char must be Roman or ASCII character?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Give search result MetaTags a reasonable format

Given the following meta tag in a web page

<meta name="search.date" content="22/05/2018 00:00:00">

Using Bing Custom Search API to get this result, in Page.searchTags, it appears as (verbatim):

"22\/05\/2018 00:00:00"; 22; 05; 2018; 00; 00; 00

It would be nice if the data was spit out in a sensible format instead of some tortured, repetitive form. For instance, the intact original content string seems great.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Google Tag Manager support

The hosted UI JS snippet doesn't work with Google Tag Manager - the preview mode for GTM breaks when the JS snippet is loaded.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Make it easier to give feedback

I've started using BCS API as a replacement for GSS on a nationally known brand in the UK. I found your channel 9 video inviting feedback and also the bing api team blog and even a thread on hackernews but I still had no way to give you feedback. It was almost by luck that I stumbled across this uservoice forum. Please try and make the channels for feedback and getting in touch as clear as possible or you may be missing lots of important feedback.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Under Review  ·  0 comments  ·  Documentation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. No capping restriction info in docs

I got the error "You have reached the maximum number of Active and Blocked sites per custom search instance. Please check documentation for more details on the capping restrictions" but there's no information in the documentation on the restrictions

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Under Review  ·  4 comments  ·  Documentation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. About Custom Search: how can I maximize monthly budget so I won't pay more than I can afford?

About Custom Search: how can I maximize monthly budget so I won't pay more than I can afford?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Under Review  ·  0 comments  ·  Documentation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. specialized search engine for a subsite

Customer would like to create a specialized search engine for a subsite.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Under Review  ·  2 comments  ·  API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. How do I get a subsite that is deeper than the radio button choices?

How do I set subsite that is deeper than radio button choices - The radio button choices for https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/cognitive-services/luis/ do not allow me to go all the way to /luis but stop short at azure. Are there APIs for the definition editor that are public and supported?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Free tier is completely different API as paid tier

I used the free tier to determine if Bing custom search is a good match for my needs. Now that I am trying to setup the paid tier, it seems like these are two completely different APIs. The work I did during the prototype phase is potentially lost. Maybe I am just not understanding the documentation. In particular, I need the subsite search capability.

Make these two search APIs the same so investigations into the utility of the paid tier are not wasted.

Free tier:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/cognitive-services/bing-custom-search/search-your-custom-view

Paid tier:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/cognitiveservices/bing-web-api-v7-reference#searchresponse

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Documentation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Under Review  ·  Luke Bayler responded

Seems like there still might be confusion here, so I’m going to re-open this issue.

11. BUG: Very different results for very similar queries

If we submit a search query for "cottage hot tub" on our site, the Custom Search returns 478 matches.

However, if we submit a more specific query "cottage with hot tub" we get 1630 matches.

Why would adding the word "with" to the query result in more matches, rather than less?

Also, these similar queries "log cabin st austell" and "log cabin austell" return the same number of matches as expected, but they are presented in a different order. Why?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Under Review  ·  1 comment  ·  API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. BUG: Pagination is broken

When using the 'count' and 'offset' options to paginate results, the 'totalEstimatedMatches' value changes after a certain number of pages.

For example, a search for "cottage with hot tub" on our site initially shows 1630 matches. But after paging through the first 21 pages of results (offset 440), the number of matches drops to 499 for no apparent reason.

Surely the number of matches should stay the same regardless of where within the results you are viewing them?

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Under Review  ·  6 comments  ·  API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Bing Custom Search

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base