Microsoft

Bing Custom Search API

Welcome to the Bing Custom Search API Forum

Categories

API – Any ideas or feedback pertaining to features or enhancements to Bing Custom Search.

Documentation – Any ideas or suggestions for the API Reference or Documentation.

Language Support – Submit a request to have a particular language supported.

Samples & SDK Request – Let us know if you would like to see a Code sample or SDK provided.

1. Result highlighting is completely irrelevant sometimes

Sometimes the result text that is highlighted in API responses is completely irrelevant to the search phrase. I can give a more concrete example via e-mail, but for example with our Custom Search setup I can search for "manual" and the following are some of the highlighted text snippets from the API: "floor-plan-basics" (in result URL), "architects-builders-remodelers" (in result URL), and "&" in result page content. This seems to happen when the results don't match the search phrase very well. On our end, it would be more useful to have no results rather than bad results with bad highlighting.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Support for querying structured data

The bing custom search API lacks basic capabilities to query structured data, and to limit search results to those containing specific schemas specified in schema.org. This is a capability provided from the beginning for google custom search api, and without this there is no facility for contextually relevant results.

Please, can you add a query parameters to the bing custom search api to support limiting search results to those containing a specific schema (I believe this maps to the use of itemType in pages).

Even better would be to add filtering and sorting query parameters for results for a structured…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Display correct totalEstimatedMatches

I'm currently using the Bing custom seatch API v7. The totalEstimatedMatches obtained in the SearchResponse is not matching with the actual number of webpages.

It would be nice if we could get an option to exclude subpages and display the correct corrects.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Bing search - Use Wildcards & Expressions

Bing custom search - Allow users to add wildcards & expressions for certain site paths. i.e Only index pages that contain the path /dp/

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Bing custom search API - Highlighting text

According to this document: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/cognitive-services/bing-custom-search/hit-highlighting, highlighting works on title, snippet and links.

When "Highlight words" was turned on in the Hosted UI, it highlighted the words only in snippet and the link but not in the title.

When used in the web API call with textDecorations=true and textFormat is HTML, it highlighted the snippet as:

fixed rate <b>savings</b> bonds rather than formatting HTML. Also we think <b> should be replaced by `<mark>` tags or `<em>`

It will also me more useful if we could turn on snippet, title individually so that we can customise to highlight text in title…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Statistics takes 24hrs to return the searched terms

In swiftype dashboard, we can view the term searched by the user with their location (with a few seconds delay and sometimes instantly). However, Bing is taking around 24hrs to get us the statistics. It would be nice if we can get this feature in the Bing

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Unable to use aliasing or Synonyms

Currently we are using the Bing custom search API in our website to perform searches. We have the requirement to use synonyms/alias some of the terms like 'DD', 'Direct debit', direct debit guarantee.

Swiftype and other search providers has this customised feature, However there is no documentation on this on Bing. Is this feature available in Bing? or are we missing documentation

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Request Re-crawl

I understand the hesitation to request a new crawl of a given website, but there are circumstances where this is very important and I have a proposal.

Some examples include: having new content on existing URLs that is vital to a given service, having a bunch of new content or products that are vital to a service and submitting single URLs is not an option due to the daily limit, or in my case, I need to add "seach." meta tags to complete my project and now it looks like I will have to wait weeks and can't even test…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. increase the relevancy of the search results by topic/ subject matter expertise

the results are not very relevant for the topic being search, also ranking is at every link/ result level, if we there more than 1000 results, ranking cannot be added manually for each item. there has to be a better way to increase the relevancy of the results by subject matter area.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Improve default error message

Consider the following message;

"Unable to execute your query. Ensure that a valid subscription key has been set up for your instance"

I kept getting this error message whenever I selected the Image tab. The Web tab delivered search results as expected.

I created and deleted about four BSC instances, under the S1 pricing tier trying to work out why web search worked but not image search, where had I failed to input a subscription key in the process of creating a BSC instance???

Then I finally investigated the pricing tier menu option to discover that S1 does not include…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Integrating the Bing custom search and the Speech to text

Hi,
    Bing custom search allows you to integrate other features like the Autosuggest by using the API keys. Are there any plans to integrate Speech to text services in the Bing custom search so that customers can search by saying a "word to search" rather than typing?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Search count for bing news going back 1 year

Hi,

Hi all, I'm trying to get a count of Bing News search results (i.e. how many results) for a list of search terms, but only for the last 1 year. Searching with the user interface, no results count appears. Ideally, I'd like to do this programmatically, so the list of search result counts appears automatically in response for a list of search keywords. Thanks.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Under Review  ·  0 comments  ·  API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Search fails if 1st character is not ASCII

On my https://ui.customsearch.ai/hosted-page, when I search for 'λογος' I get error: "Unable to execute your query."
    If I search for 'logos' I get results.
    If I search for 'logos λογος' I get different results -- pages with 'λογος' in them.
    Looks like a bug: first char must be Roman or ASCII character?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. make search result link target window a parameter

When clicking on the search results of the Bing Custom Search Hosted setup, the links open up in a new window. Could this be made variable, as it seems that visitors are led to an external location, while the results link is part of the site in which custom search was implemented. Currently all result links have the setting "target="_blank"" which opens up a new window.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Show URL Query on hosted UI

I've run into an issue with one of my ad partners who will not approve our search site because when a user does a search it does not put the search query in the address bar of the browser. I'm guessing the Hosted UI is showing framed results?

I know I can get to the search query via manipulating the address bar but by default it doesn't do this. Is there an option to turn on in the hosted UI that after you type a search it should show the search query in the address bar of the browser?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Separate Results Page For Custom Search AI

Is it possible to have the results published to a different page on the website other than the same page? Would like to customise the format od search page and results page differently

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Allow me to search Bing in my instance

Maybe I'm just not seeing the option but I just want to embed a search on my site that searches Bing and shows results as if I were on Bing.com. Any way to do this?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Give search result MetaTags a reasonable format

Given the following meta tag in a web page

<meta name="search.date" content="22/05/2018 00:00:00">

Using Bing Custom Search API to get this result, in Page.searchTags, it appears as (verbatim):

"22\/05\/2018 00:00:00"; 22; 05; 2018; 00; 00; 00

It would be nice if the data was spit out in a sensible format instead of some tortured, repetitive form. For instance, the intact original content string seems great.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Google Tag Manager support

The hosted UI JS snippet doesn't work with Google Tag Manager - the preview mode for GTM breaks when the JS snippet is loaded.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Make it easier to give feedback

I've started using BCS API as a replacement for GSS on a nationally known brand in the UK. I found your channel 9 video inviting feedback and also the bing api team blog and even a thread on hackernews but I still had no way to give you feedback. It was almost by luck that I stumbled across this uservoice forum. Please try and make the channels for feedback and getting in touch as clear as possible or you may be missing lots of important feedback.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Under Review  ·  0 comments  ·  Documentation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base