Microsoft

Translator API

Built for business, Microsoft Translator is a proven, customizable, and scalable solution for automatic translation. Microsoft Translator’s cloud-based APIs can help make your business or app competitive in an increasingly globalized business environment.

We appreciate feedback and use it to guide our product direction, thanks to you!

Use this forum to give feedback or share your ideas on how we can improve Microsoft Translator:
• Text API
• Speech API
• Custom Translator

Note: The new Speech Service and SDK is replacing the Microsoft Translator Speech API, which will no longer work starting October 15, 2019. For information on switching to the Speech Service, see Migrating from the Translator Speech API to the Speech Service.

For questions about unified Speech service, please use the Speech service feedback forum.

The list of supported languages can be found at http://aka.ms/translatorlanguages
If you have a suggestion for a new language or language feature please go to: How do I get my language supported?

Support –
Microsoft Translator Knowledge Base articles
• For free technical support go to Stack Overflow
• For free Azure subscription and billing support go to Azure and select “Support” from the menu bar.
• For all other questions click “Contact us” at the top right of this page

To learn more about getting a subscription to Microsoft Translator through the Azure portal go to Translator getting started.

For support with the Microsoft Translator apps for Windows, iOS, and Android; the Microsoft Translator Edge extension; Presentation Translator; Bing.com/translator; or other consumer products please go to Microsoft Translator support.

How can we improve Translator API?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. normalization of complete sentences

The dictionary endpoint is translating words, but the translate endpoint doesn't know the word.
    I wanted to ask for 'Flugzeug' but made a typo 'FLugzeug' (capital L). Maybe we can normalize the words in translate as well.

$URL_DICT_DE_EN="https://api-eur.cognitive.microsofttranslator.com/dictionary/lookup?api-version=3.0&from=de&to=en";
    $URL_TRANS_DE_EN="https://api-eur.cognitive.microsofttranslator.com/translate?api-version=3.0&from=de&to=en";

$TEST="[{'Text': 'FLugzeug'}]" $RESULT=Invoke-RestMethod -Method 'POST' -Headers $HEADERS -ContentType 'application/json; charset=utf-8' -uri $URL_DICT_DE_EN -Body $TEST $RESULT

normalizedSource displaySource translations
    ---------------- ------------- ------------
    flugzeug Flugzeug {@{normalizedTarget=aircraft; displayTarget=aircraft; posTag=NOUN; confidence=0,99; p...

$TEST="[{'Text': 'Das FLugzeug hat Verspätung'}]"
    PS C:\Users\m2vh> $RESULT=Invoke-RestMethod -Method 'POST' -Headers $HEADERS -ContentType 'application/json; charset=utf-8' -uri $URL_TRANS_DE_EN -Body $TEST PS C:\Users\m2vh> $RESULT

translations
    ------------
    {@{text=The FLugzeug is delayed; to=en}}

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  API - Text Translation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. I just code as your example ,but the translate return the 401000, I put my key in the program, but it still don't work

I put the key like this "subscriptionKey = 'here my key'",but the result is " "message": "The request is not authorized because credentials are missing or invalid."

I don't know what's wrong

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  API - Text Translation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Clearly identify special characters that are not supported in translation

When using the translate endpoint, text sent with special characters ends up generating a 400 return with no details as to what input was causing the issue.

So far, I have seen this problem with text containing ®, ™ and a non-breaking space.

It would be nice to either have guidelines on which characters are allowed and which are not (documentation), or to have a debug flag on the service that would allow us to get more information on which characters are failing to be processed so that we can easily work around the problem.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Please, send a notification and release notes with each new version of the translation engine

We regularly (once a week) monitor the translation outputs of Microsoft Translator API with test set of 500 sentences. We have observed that the translation outputs change quite frequently, but just very seldom we get a notification from Microsoft regarding changes to the translation framework or the translation models that can explain the changes. It would really help to have regular notes with an explanation of what changes and what should be the expectations in the translation differences.

Thanks.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Bug - Translator Text API 3.0 error to translate documento in Markdown sintaxe

I did some tests with in a simple app that I created, which uses the Translator Text API 3.0.
    But when I try to translate documents with the markdown syntax, the translation return adds spaces between the ###, which results in the text formatting problem.
    I would like to know how to make api ignore these spaces between the #.
    Thanks.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. BUG - values from dictionary lookup are incorrect.

I'm using Microsoft's Translator Text API 3.0 dictionary lookup. It successfully provides a response but some of the numerical values are incorrect. It is responding with:

confidence: 0.99, numExamples: 0 and frequencyCount: 0

I'm sure this is incorrect! Here's my question I posted on stackoverflow hoping the 'Mircrosoft Translator' stackoverflow account would reply and help me out:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/55934991/incorrect-response-from-microsoft-translator-api-dictionary-lookup

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. don't understand how to migrate to v3...

How does one migrate to v3!!!!?????

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Please add Pashto, it's been the most requested language

Over the years, requests to add Pashto has increased significantly. With 50-60 million speakers, it's the official language spoken in Afghanistan, 2nd largest in Pakistan and around the world wherever the Afghan/Pashtun diaspora lives. It's the top trending idea here, but Microsoft hasn't paid attention to it: https://microsofttranslator.uservoice.com/forums/421776-how-do-i-get-my-language-supported/suggestions/14808924-pashto-afghanistan

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Hindi text translation support

I am looking for Translate Text in Hindi.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Markdown as content type

Add markdown as a possible value for textType parameter. Would be great to have it in addition to HTML and plain text.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Drop-Down Menu?

My client needs a Translate button with a drop-down menu to select on of several languages. His website editor is GoDaddy. Would the MS translator do this?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Add en-gb to en-us etc translation

It would be great to get "translations" for different language localizations via either the /translate or the /dictionary apis. A simple web search shows that this is a wide-spread need that has few if any pre-built solutions.

This would be useful for all variations of english as well as any other language with country-specific words such as spanish.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Do not use capitalization in EN when translating from DE

When translating from DE to EN, the originally capitalized DE words (nouns) are still capitalized in EN. Of course this is only acceptable in German and not in English. I could not find any previous post flagging this issue, not sure if you are already working on this.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Letter case is not propagated

Translating "Brown / Cow" to (for example FR) returns "Brun/vache".
    Problem 1 is the space around the slash is missing. I puzzled out an undocumented escape sequence that fixes that though: "Brown\ /\ Cow" returns "Brown / vache" so the spaces are kept.
    Problem 2 is the letter v in the translation should be Uppercase V and return "Brown / Vache"

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Under Review  ·  1 comment  ·  API - Text Translation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Incorrect Chinese to English translation

I am using the generic NMT and found a serious mistranslation:
    Source- 若中英文条款有不一致之处,以中文条款为准
    Target- In the event of any inconsistency between the Chinese and English terms, the English terms shall prevail

The correct translation should be "the Chinese terms shall prevail". This is legal content and the error is fundamental

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. v3 - add weight in 'detect ' api

We use the detection api to decide whether the language needs to be translated. However the 'detect' api returns inaccurate results at times. Eg. 'hi siri', 'hi google' are detected as 'ca' instead of 'en'. This will then be translated to 'there are siri', which is totally unacceptable in our case.

Currently there is no way for user to correct the detection or put more weight/preference on a particular language. In the above example, although 'en' is in the alternative, they all have the same score of 1. We'd like to add some weight on a particular language to control…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. 阻止翻译内容 bug反馈

标记为notranslate的标签,内容有时会被无辜的前后加个空格。
    例如英文翻译成俄语
    翻译内容: ‘you are welcome Jerry’
    结果: ’ПожалуйстаJerry‘
    当在后面加个空格时:
    翻译内容: 'you are welcome Jerry '
    结果: 'Вы радушны Jerry '
    ‘Jerry’字符串前后多加了空格。
    标记内容不应该保持不变吗?

测试时的相关参数:
    api url:https://api.cognitive.microsofttranslator.com/translate
    'api-version': '3.0',
    'to':'ru',
    'profanityAction':'Marked',
    'profanityMarker':'Asterisk',
    'textType':'html'

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Text Translator translates only separate words, making sentences unreadable (Finnish language)

Typically, verbs and nouns are mixed up, resulting in hilarious, yet totally unusable (business-wise) translations.

It seems that the translation engine lacks any kind grammar knowledge - it doesn't even try to make up sentences of what it translates.

While this technique might play out with germanic<->germanic languages, it certainly does not with Finnish language.. It might be unfair to compare it to Google Translate (which has no problem translating even complex sentences), but that's the consumer standard so ofc people are comparing to it. As a matter of fact, even Microsoft's translation built-in-feature in Twitter does way better job!

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Translated URL string gets capitalized

URL contained in the original sentence gets converted to capital letters.

For example,

"This news is from https://www.microsoft.com&quot;

translates to

"Эта новость от HTTPS://www.Microsoft.com",

"HTTPS" and "Microsoft" get capitalized unwantedly.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base