Microsoft

Bing Web Search

Welcome to the Bing Search API Forum

Categories

API Categories – Ideas and feedback for different endpoints
AutoSuggest, Image, News, Spell Check, Video, and Web

Documentation – Any ideas or suggestions for the API Reference or Documentation.

Language Support – Submit a request to have a particular language supported.

Samples & SDK Request – Let us know if you would like to see a Code sample or SDK provided.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. AND & OR operator

Google API can seach for "<WORD1>" AND/OR "<WORD2>" in the HTML document body/title. But Bing API do not enforce that both words must be present in the document body/title. It would be good if Bing API can search both words in the document body/title as same as Google API.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Web Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Filter results by date

I'd like to be able to search news articles and confine the results to a given date range. I suppose it would be best if by date it referred to the date of the article itself, but if that's not possible, the date that Bing recorded the result would work. Currently you can only get a chunk of most recent results and sort them by date. I'd love to be able to search older articles from a given time period. I don't think any other search API has this feature. And the Bing web search only lets you specify a…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  News Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add SortBy (Date) support to Bing News Search API

The new Bing Search API 5.0 does not support SortyBy Date for search results, though this functionality is supported in the previous Bing Search API 2.0.

This is a very useful capability, without it one can not query for all news search results from the past year (or any other date window longer than one month)

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  News Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Issues with pagination

I'm seeing weird behaviour when paginating results. It is impossible to figure out when to stop asking for more results.

1. The totalEstimatedMatches value changes wildly. To the extent that the script I wrote to test the API ended up eating up all the credits in the free tier by just going on an on. At one point it started incrementing itself by the page size in every response

2. I cannot use the number of duplicate results returned as a way of figuring out when to stop either. (The first page returned 68 unique results, the 2nd 7, the 3rd 2…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  News Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Include dateFirstCrawled as well as dateLastCrawled, or other indication of original page timestamp

As described. Would be nice to know when pages were created, not just when Bing last looked at them. A separate field for the last time the page changed would be great too, although not as important.

Also, the ability to sort results by creation (and ideally last-updated) date is really critical.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Web Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Requesting Examples  ·  Raymond responded

We would like to know what type of scenarios you have that would help us understand to see if there is something we can provide.

6. Web Search snippet should match what is being searched when using Bing Web search API

When we are using Web Search API the snippet or the description is absolutely different from what we have given the query. The snippet should match the query.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Web Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Web Search snippet should match what is displayed when searching directly on Bing.com

When I search on Bing.com, the abstract or summary of the webpage displayed on Bing.com does not match the snippet returned by the API. They should match.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Document the cases in which titles are truncated

When I query News via Bing News API v7, sometimes I get truncated titles, e.g. "Allow pinning of unindexed URLs..." instead of "Allow pinning of unindexed URLs in Bing Custom Search" title of the article on the referenced website.
    Similar to the situation described here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/57954384/bing-news-search-api-returns-truncated-name-of-news

Please, document cases in which this may happen.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  News Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Better documentation for pagination and returned result in relation with pagination.

I am using bing cognitive search, but the pagination is not working properly; for example I am posting this to bing API:

path=/bing/v5.0/search?q=search%20all%20engine&count=5&offset=0&mkt=en-us&safesearch=Off

but it is not returning 5 results; it returns 9 instead. Also the results are duplicated on page next pages.

If I change count to 9 and accordingly the offset, then it returns 17 results. Does anyone have any idea what I am doing wrong? How should I do a proper call and pagination when calling bing cognitive search?

Is there some documentation regarding this problem?

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Under Review  ·  2 comments  ·  Documentation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Add Local Business Results to the Web Search!

We desperately need a Places or Phonebook Results in the Web Search so that mobile users that search for local businesses can find business information (web address, list of locations, map of locations, call button, hours of operation, directions) through the Web API.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Include "people also search for" in the api response

As well as includeing 'related searches' the api could return 'people also search for' in the repsonse. It appears on the web, on desktop, in the right hand column of the page.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Support for Inuktitut/Inktut language

We would like Inuktitut to be supported as a language.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Bing web search API to search only specific sites

I'm using Bing web search API for getting articles about health in my Bot. How can I specify in the API which sites(urls) to search? Because sometimes it searches irrelevant sites, like wiki or wikipedia which I don't want to use. I've tried with site: parameter in API but it only gets the first site and ignores the rest urls. Here is the API which I use now: https://api.cognitive.microsoft.com/bing/v5.0/search?q=site:cdc.gov/ NOT site:wikipedia.org/" +url+ "&count=10&offset=0&mkt=en-us&safesearch=Moderate"

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Web Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Support for getting search results with actual links (not https://www.bing.com/cr?... prefixed ones)

For my use case, I want to get the actual URL's of the given news items (or websearch items). This was the default in v2, but the documentation is unclear in v5 on how to go about it.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Support for Bing API v2 WebFileType query parameter

I am using the current Bing API v2 to search for feed results only. This works fantastic by limiting the results with the WebFileType parameter like this:

?Query='SearchText'&WebFileType='FEED'

As far as I can tell, there is nothing that replaces this functionality in the new v5 API - this is very sad, as I will have to move away from Bing now, despite being really satisfied with the results I got.

So please, implement this (and other missing features the old API supported) - it's not very customer friendly to take away the old version when you can't offer it's features…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Web Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Add a Database of Searches Performed On Our Site

When site visitors perform a web search on our website using the Web Search API it would be nice if the API could track and maintain a database of searched terms done through our site. This way we could see what the most popular terms searched by our site's visitors are each day and how many visitors searched for that same keyword.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Show Deep Links for related topics in popular forums

For example when there are multiple Yahoo Answers related to the keyword searched they should display as expanded deep links within the same search results entry, as well as other popular forums like Reddit

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Web Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Completed  ·  Raymond responded

Hi, we have deep links to Wikipedia. Do you have example queries where these are not returning results.

19. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Declined  ·  Raymond responded

Thank you for the sharing this idea. There are limitations that prevent sharing encumbrance data due to legal and licensing requirements.

20. Allow users to specify a list of domains, or ideally url patterns, to limit search

As I understand it, your URL has a limit of 2048 characters. Obviously when searching a small handful of sites or the entire web that is more than sufficient. However, if a user wants to curate a large but selective set of sources, the space will quickly be filled up with site:one.example.com OR site:two.example.com OR etc..

One way to get around this is what Google does with Custom Search, by allowing the user to specify a url to a file, which is expected to contain some XML including a set of URL patterns. The search results are then limited to…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base